Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 2: Rule of Thirds

Well, today was rather a boring topic for me because I've already learned and applied it to my photography ( I took photography for two years in HS, and if we didn't show rule of thirds, then we weren't graded). I had a hard time thinking of places to go, so finally around 1:20 I packed up my camera and Dad's tripod into our truck and drove off to Wrinkle Cove (which is probably between 5 and 7 minuets away). I got to wrinkle cove, and walked a little bit towards a nice area and set up the tripod and camera. After turning on my Camera, I had a "Clearly Something Stupid" moment...there was no memory card in my camera. Great, so I packed everything back up, got back to the truck, and drove back home, got my memory card and went back out to Wrinkle Cove (this time with Morgan). There was nothing interesting to take pictures of anymore (the first time I was there, I saw geese in the lake as well as up in the air), so we walked around and Morgan spotted some drift wood, and that became my target to shoot at.

For any of those, who don't understand what "Rule of Thirds" is, imagine a tic-tac-toe board or a number sign (#) across the picture. You don't want your focus to be right smack in the middle of your picture, you want it off to the side, or taking up almost the full screen.

As you can see, the drift wood isn't smack in the center, it is off centered, as well as curved almost out to the other side of the frame.

This picture was taken a little closer than the previous one, and fills the frame diagonally, filling in a little bit of each section on the invisible grid.
Sorry, today's pictures weren't as exciting as yesterday's (which took a lot more skill), but I hope you still in joyed it a little. Tomorrows topic is "Black and White", but I'm not sure if I will be able to upload my pictures, because (1) Morgan and I are babysitting from 8-5:30 and (2) We are heading up to Grandma and Grandpa's House after we get back, because one of our cousins are getting baptized on Saturday. So don't worry, I will be bringing my camera with me. Just in case I don't get anything up tomorrow, Saturday's Topic for Day 4 is Texture.

Oh, and don't forget (if you haven't already), check out Expert Photography to get help on "Rule of Thirds" if you decide you want to try out this 30 Day Photography Challenge as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment